After the ECB and WI cricket board announced a Test Series to kick start the cricket after global CoViD-19 Pandemic, the Cricket South Africa has thrown in a surprise by announcing a 3-Team Exhibition Cricket match in the last week of June.
In a revolutionary step, Cricket South Africa has unearthed a new Cricket format, in which 3-Teams of 8 players each will participate play in a single match of two halves. In a 36- over clash, the fans will witness an unprecedented format of the game at Centurion on 27th June.
The Three teams are named behind the three legends of South African Cricket who will also also lead the teams. South African great AB de Villiers along with Quinton de Kock and Kagiso Rabada will lead the three teams in first-ever ‘3TC (three-team cricket) match’ at Centurion.
Three Teams are:
KG’s Kingfishers: Kagiso Rabada (c), Faf du Plessis, Chris Morris, Tabraiz Shamsi, Reeza Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Heinrich Klaasen, Glenton Stuurman
Quinny’s Kites: Quinton de Kock (c), David Miller, Temba Bavuma, Anrich Nortje, Dwayne Pretorius, Beuran Hendricks, JJ Smuts, Lutho Sipamla
AB’s Eagles: AB de Villiers (c), Aiden Markram, Lungi Ngidi, Andile, Phehlukwayo, Rassie van der Dussen, Junior Dala, Kyle Verreynne, Sisanda Magala
CSA has also set a number of rules for the historic encounter.
The rules are as followed-
– In the match, three teams, each of 8 -players will contest in a match of 36 overs. The 36-overs will be completed in two halves, with a break at halftime.
– Each Team will bat for one inning of 12 overs split between two halves. They face one opponent in the first half and the other opponent in the second half for 6 – overs in each half.
– In the first half, teams rotate from batting to bowling to the dugout with the starting positions determined by a draw. In the second half, teams bat in order of the highest scores in the first half. If scores are tied, the first half order is reversed.
💬 @ABdeVilliers17: "It’s a great idea and credit must go to Cricket South Africa and Rain for working to develop this new and innovative style of cricket."
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) June 17, 2020
– After the fall of the 7th wicket, the last batsman stands alone. However, he can only score in even numbers of runs. If the 7th wicket falls in the first half, the team forfeits the remaining part of that half and the last batsman resumes the innings in the second half.
– Each bowling team has the use of one new ball for their full 12 overs which is used for both opponents. A maximum of three overs per bowler is allowed. An uncompleted overdue to the fall of the 7th wicket is deemed to be completed with dot balls.
– Most runs win Gold, second Silver and third Bronze. If 2 teams tie with most runs, super overs decide Gold; if all 3 teams tie, all get Gold; and, in a tie for second, Silver is shared.
Are you ready for #3TCricket?
— SuperSport 🏆 (@SuperSportTV) June 17, 2020
CSA’s chief medical officer, Dr Shuaib Manjra has assured that all the precautions and protocols are well in place considering the Covid-19 pandemic and masks arrangements and sanitization will be done prior to the arrival of Players.
“First of all it will be an empty stadium, we’re looking at the minimum number of people being there for the event to happen and be broadcast, which is about 200. The players will get in three days before and be kept in a sanitised eco-system… In the stadium, everyone will wear masks and doors will be kept open along with other safety measures.”
Time and Venue
The match will be played at the SuperSport Park in Centurion on 27 June 2020 from 2:30 pm IST.