Recently, the World Health Organisation declared CoVID-19 a pandemic. Indian Government has suspended visas of all the foreign nationals till 15th of April. Many tournaments have been either postponed or cancelled by the Sports Ministry. Keeping all these things in mind, earlier BCCI suspended the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League, which was all set to commence on 29th March, till 15th April.
Now, the conditions are deteriorating day by day as more and more cases of Corona-positive patients are being reported. In recent days, it’s increasing at a faster rate than ever before.
On Thursday, Indian Government urged the organisers to cancel the IPL to help slowdown the Corona virus pandemic. The organisers were planning for 13th edition of IPL to take place behind closed doors.
Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Dammu Ravi addressed the media at New Delhi and urged the sports bodies to decide discerningly on holding the tournaments and sports events.
Ministry of External Affairs additional secretary and coordinator for CoVID-19, Dammu Ravi said, “Think it is for the organisers to decide whether to go ahead with it or not.”
“Our advice would be to not do it at this time but if they want to go ahead, it is their decision,” he added.
Unsurprisingly, the BCCI is ready to comply with every advisory to start the tournament on time.
A senior BCCI official told AFP, “We are keen to start the IPL on time even if it means without crowds.”
“It could be TV-only as it is a medical emergency and we can do nothing about that,” he added.
Several state governments are also not ready to help BCCI in conducting the games as everybody is facing tough times.
Previously, the State Government of Maharashtra has already ordered defending champions Mumbai Indians to delay the ticket sales for the opening game of IPL 2020.
And Maharashtra health minister Rajesh Tope said, “Human life has far more value than the IPL.”