With the IPL 2020 approaching its end, the race for spots in Indian cricket team for World T20 2021 is going to heat up in upcoming couple of weeks. The World T20 2021 is scheduled to be played in September-October in India next year and players like Prithvi Shaw, Shubhman Gill, Sanju Samson, Navdeep Saini, Axar Patel and Washington Sundar will look to nail a spot in squad.
BCCI has scheduled a number of T20 series to identify their best squad going into the world T20. Team India is scheduled to play 3 T20I on upcoming Australia Tour right after the IPL 2020 and selectors will have job of identifying and picking best candidates for certain slots. Here are a few debatable names that might given a chance in certain positions considering their performance recently.
- Washington Sundar:Before this IPL, finger spinners all but had lost their relevance in shortest format of the game. But this year, Washington Sundar and Ravichandran Ashwin have shown that finger spin is as lethal as leg or wrist spin, if used properly. In this IPL so far, Sundar has done a commendable job with 6 wickets and an economy of 5.61 after 10 matches. His tight bowling from one end has allowed Yuzi Chahal to pick 15 wickets from the other end. It won’t be a surprise if the RCB duo appear together in Indian colours in short time.
- Axar Patel:With Kuldeep Yadav’s stocks falling rapidly, the most viable option for Indian selectors is Axar Patel. He is a like to like replacement for Ravindra Jadeja at No. 7. In IPL 2020, he has shown his worth for Delhi Capitals by picking up 8 wickets with an impressive economy of 5.74 in 9 matches. He is also handy with the bat in lower order and his little cameos might benefit team India.
- Navdeep Saini:With the pace trio of Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and Bhuvneshwar Kumar looking certain to start in first XI. Navdeep Saini might be the one, who can fill in for either of three as backup. Though he will have a strong competition from Deepak Chahar for the fourth pacer slot, he is likely to be picked ahead of Chahar. The Delhi born pacer has a gun Yorker, a brilliant short ball and speed that can terrorize even the best at any stage of game. shto form the pace attack. Hardik Pandya will also bowl his seam-ups in lone all-rounder’s slot.
- Sanju Samson:The journey to Indian National Cricket team has not been a smooth one for the talented wicket–keeper batsman. After almost a number of never-ending debates about his calibre, Sanju Samson is finally in the fray for T20Is. He replaced an injured Shikhar Dhawan in the series against West Indies recently. He has managed to retain his spot for the time being and IPL 2020 would have definitely helped him push his case, especially when Pant is still finding his feet in the team.
- Prithvi Shaw:With Rohit Sharma a certainty, KL Rahul’ emergence as a multi-dimension player and Shikhar Dhawan’s recent form in IPL, it will be hard for Prithvi Shaw to break into the XI. But the aggressive right-hand batsman might break into the squad if anything happens to either of Dhawan or Rohit. His recent form in IPL has been poor but he will look for redemption in upcoming matches.